Sunday 13 May 2018

Sunday 13th May

Have been over quite a few times recently but it has been quiet as a whole, as it has across the Midlands generally. I have had up to three Common Sandpiper but passage has been really poor.

Thursday – Cannock Chase
Joy and I saw plenty of Tree Pipit, Cuckoo plus Redstart and Pied Flycatcher.

Thursday – Shustoke Reservoir
Thursday there was a good number of Swift with @300 present with @200 hirundines, although there was no Hobby to take advantage of the situation.

Friday – Middleton RSPB
I took Joy and her sister to Middleton RSPB where we saw a good number of species including a Grey Plover (very difficult), Greenshank, Snipe and a couple of Yellow Wagtail. However, we missed a Temminck’s Stint which was unfortunate, but I did see rather a lot of them in India.

Saturday – Middleton RSPB
We went over later in the day to avoid the crowds, and although the Temminck’s Stint had not been seen we thought we would go anyway. In the two visits we recorded over 70 species which for the Midlands is good. There were a couple of Common Sandpiper and Ringed Plover which we didn’t see yesterday. Plus the Snipe was on the west scrape again, which is late!

Sunday – Shustoke Reservoir
I got over about 8.30am hoping to avoid the crowds but the Reservoir was very busy so I dropped down the bank and made my way over the river to work the fields between the Reservoir and Hogrill’s End. I heard plenty of Blackcap and Whitethroat plus a few Chiffchaff and a couple of Willow Warbler, but I haven’t come across Lesser Whitethroat or Garden Warbler so far this year. I saw a single Yellow Wagtail and a pair of Grey Wagtail. The highlight for me was a Kingfisher that flew past carrying food.

No comments: