Wednesday 10 January 2018

Wednesday 10th January

Shustoke Reservoir

I made my first visit of the year to the Reservoir and like yesterday I had the place to myself. I got off the beaten track a little and was rewarded with a couple of Snipe in the wet meadow. Then bizarrely I could hear the theme tune to the 60’s TV programme Batman in the distance with that a Little Egret flew across landing at the far end of the Reservoir.

Along the river a flock of c.70 Siskin was seen several times, I assume it was the same flock. I also saw several Goldcrest and a Treecreeper. On the lake there was in excess of 240 Tufted Duck other numbers were c.20 Gt Crested Grebe with slightly more Little Grebe. There were also nine Gadwall and five Pochard.

The Little Egret relocated to the small pool where the four Fulvous Whistling Duck were still present, unfortunately the Wigeon appear to have departed.

Back on the Reservoir five Goosander appeared along with nine Mute Swan and 68 Canada Geese, all in all it wasn’t a bad day and a good start to the year.

Lea Marston

I had visited the churchyard a couple of times in search of the reported Hawfinch without success, I had popped in first thing this morning and it proved fruitless. On my way home I tried again, this time  a bird flew overhead as I got out of the car and it gave good views as it perched out in the larger trees calling continuously. Seems like churchyards and Juniper trees is the formula to follow.


Wishaw

This has proved to be a productive area of late with the fields around Blind Pit Lane especially good. However, today proved otherwise, I have noticed a drop off in bird numbers and today apart from 6 Skylark, 4 Reed Bunting and a single Meadow Pipit it was quiet. The outskirts of Minworth on the other hand was much better with 30 each of Reed Bunting and Yellowhammer.


No comments: