Tuesday 9 January 2018

Monday 8th January

After a almost a week of poor weather I forced myself to have a walk around the fields at Wishaw. There had been reports of Corn Bunting and I fancied checking them out. The field in question is massive and I walked around the perimeter but without luck as far as the Corn Bunting were concerned.

Last week there were a lot of birds but I think a lot have moved off with the cold weather. But I had an enjoyable time seeing c.50 Skylark, 30 Meadow Pipit, c.20 Linnet, 15 Goldfinch, 17 Golden Plover and two Snipe. The birds are very had to view in the stubble, flight views are the norm, but at least a Sparrowhawk making a couple of passes made counting the birds a little easier.

Nearby a fine Little Owl was an addition to the year list and in the same area early last week there were two Stonechat plus numerous Skylark, Reed Bunting, Yellowhammer, Skylark, Linnet and an assortment of finches.


No comments: