Tuesday 31 October 2017

Tuesday 31st October – Hardingwood Hill

For the fifth time in little over a week I found myself at Hardingwood Hill. I arrived at 7.30am and made my way to a suitable location in which to view the events to come! There is no one place that is better than another, it all depends on which way the wind is blowing and which way the birds choose to migrate.

At least it wasn’t as cold as yesterday but still a little parky. I had my hat on which helped. Although I was regretting not bring my gloves. After about 90 minutes I pulled my hat down a bit, wondered what the obstruction on my head was then realised my gloves were inside my hat!

I stayed for two hours and for the third time in a row drew a blank with Hawfinch, but nevertheless I thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately a lot of the birds were passing downhill of me but at a distance of 1k so a lot of the finches went unidentified. Anyway, todays totals:

Wood Pigeon          1,125
Stock Dove                  19
Redwing                    203
Fieldfare                    182
Mistle Thrush                5
Skylark                          8
Chaffinch                     36
Goldfinch                      2
Starling                      239
Brambling                     1
Siskin                            4

I had various other species including Raven, two Sparrowhawk, tit flocks which included a Treecreeper and several Yellowhammer.

No comments: