Monday 16 October 2017

Saturday through to Monday

SATURDAY
Joy, June and I had a good walk around Cannock Chase, mainly in search of the reported Crossbills. We parked by the TA centre and walked the trails down towards Seven Springs. We had great views of a good sized Adder that slithered across the path in front of us.

We eventually encountered some birds with c.30 Siskin plus some of the more common finches in Abrahams Valley. Eventually eight Crossbill flew across the trail but carried on flying into the sun and lost to view.

We had nearly got to the end of the Valley when we could hear Crossbills calling they were drinking down in the undergrowth but eventually gave themselves up before flying back down the Valley.


SUNDAY
With all the reports of Hawfinch around the country I though I would try my luck at Wishaw, I wasn’t expecting much, and I wasn’t disappointed. I did however, see c.40 Skylark and two small groups totalling 10 Golden Plover.


MONDAY
I decided that I would have a go for a long staying Grey Phalarope at Blithfield Reservoir. I arrived early and searched along the north shore and the Causeway. I then drove to the dam where I picked out the bird feeding along the base of the dam. It was ridiculously close and spent the entire time I was there going long the waters edge feeding.

The sky was really weird with the sun having a reddish tinge, I found out later this was due to the forest fires in Portugal and sand from the Sahara. It felt like there was a imminent Eclipse coming!

Around lunchtime the wind started to pick up so I made my way home.


No comments: