Wednesday 13 April 2016

Wednesday 13th April

I decided today to go somewhere different, however, I popped into Shustoke early where a quick scan revealed nothing bar a Common Tern and a couple of Oystercatcher. I then made my way to Kingsbury Village where I parked up crossed the river and made my way through the park to Middleton Lakes RSPB.

The Water Park was quiet so I was rather surprised when I counted up that I had seen 53 species before I reached the boundaries of the RSPB reserve. There were quite a few Blackcap but the best species was a day hunting Barn Owl. Also on Cliff Pool there was a good array of waterfowl with Goldeneye, Wigeon, Teal, Shelduck, Goosander, Pochard and Gadwall all seen.

At Middleton, I met up with two couples that I have got to know over the last year, although I have no idea what there names are. The first couple told me there were Sedge and Reed Warbler around – I managed Sedge Warbler before reaching the hide (or lookout as they would like us to call it) the two Med Gull were on show and as I was ready to leave a Garganey suddenly appeared in my scope.

It was starting to warm up a bit and it was a long walk back along the canal to Kingsbury Village.

I spent the rest of the afternoon cutting the grass, then I noticed a message that pronounced that there was a Black-necked Grebe at Shustoke. So later Joy and I went over and saw the bird plus an Arctic Tern and the Common Tern from this morning.

I walked over 16 miles during the course of today and there is a bath calling my name.

Garganey, Middleton Lakes RSPB, Tony Barter

Black-necked Grebe, Shustoke Reservoir, Tony Barter

No comments: