Thursday 14 April 2016

Thursday 14th April

I decided the Reservoir needed a good going over today, although on arrival it didn’t look too promising, however, the Black-necked Grebe was still there although it is quite mobile it can easily swim from one end to the other in 5 minutes.

There were two Common Sandpiper, one of which I saw, also the pair of Oystercatcher were still feeding in the only undisturbed area on the Reservoir the area of grass outside the Sailing Club!

I checked out the sheep paddocks but there was little there and I was a little disappointed, so I walked out onto the Tamworth Road and made my way along Hogrills End Road to check out the paddocks that run from there down toward the Railway and Reservoir. I was rewarded first by another Wheatear then a splendid male Redstart that was feeding at the base of a large Oak. That was only the second Redstart that I have seen at the Reservoir (I think the other was back in 2000). I made my way back to the Reservoir seeing four Linnet my first for the year at Shustoke.

Met Bernard Lee who had come to see the Grebe, Bernard is a larger than life character and we always have a good bit of banter, it was nice to see him again.

No comments: