Tuesday 5 January 2016

Tuesday 5th January

Firstly, yesterday I spent the morning at Ladywalk NR, where I managed to miss a Bittern even though I was sat next to the person who saw it (Dave Hutton). I heard the shout, just didn’t pick it up as it flew a few yards before doing what Bittern do best! There was a good selection of birds but my day was cut short by a phone call summonsing me for some emergency dog walking!

Today I made my first visit to Shustoke of the year, and bearing in mind that I only saw 111 species there last year I thought 53 species in a day wasn’t bad,  I also missed a couple of Dollies into the bargain. Highlights today, in no particular order included: Snipe, Golden Plover, Goosander, Siskin, Treecreeper, Yellowhammer and Raven. The Golden Plover were in the air over the Botts Green area but I’m counting them.

After missing the Bittern yesterday I thought I would have another go this afternoon. I walked to the reserve and went straight to Riverwalk hide, the car park was full, so I was rather surprised when I got into the hide to find it empty! I sat there for an hour and a half but no Bittern showed. I did see Water Rail and Kingfisher and as dusk approached I walked along the river to view Whiteacre Heath NR where there had been Short-eared Owl, the phrase HAD BEEN explains all you need to know. Looks like Coleshill GPs tomorrow night.

No comments: