Wednesday 11 November 2015

Wednesday 11th November

Again I have been birding most mornings, Monday saw me at Draycote Water where I walked the whole way around, it was rather poor until the last mile or so – I will walk the other way round next time. The wind was howling but it was quite mild for the time of year. Highlights included Scaup, 4 Red-crested Pochard, Pintail and @6 Tree Sparrows.

Tuesday saw me spending the morning at the Reservoir, the wind wasn’t quite as strong but most of the passerines were keeping their heads down. I saw over 50 Fieldfare and a lesser number of Redwing but the numbers of wildfowl were low apart, or course for Coot there were over 500 of those. The highlight was a Common Sandpiper normally unusual for this time of year, but with one wintering last winter, maybe we are due a repeat experience.

Wednesday I spent at Middleton Lakes RSPB and whilst I quiet enjoyed myself (I always do) there was little in the way of Avian interest.

In the afternoons I have been walking my sons dog as he and his partner are very busy. I have been taking him along the trail on the River Cole in Shard End. I have to say the footpath heading towards Babs Mill looks fantastic and whilst I haven’t seen that much it has potential, a calling Tawny Owl is my best so far.

No comments: