Thursday 30 April 2015

Thursday 30th April

Spent the morning at Middleton RSPB, it was cold and windy with a few squally showers, and I am so glad that 400 yards down the road I turned around and went back for my coat.

Anyway, there wasn’t much singing and by the time I got to the first screen I hadn’t seen much. However, by the first screen there were five Dunlin and a Black-tailed Godwit, it started to rain so I didn’t bother looking for the Whinchat and headed for the hide instead. From the hide the Avocet was showing and there were four Wigeon. After a bit of snap I headed out seeing another 3 Dunlin (possibly some of the ones seen previously) four Ringed Plover, numerous LRP and a couple of showy Sedge Warbler.

The rain looked like it was returning so I headed back and scanned from the edge of Fishers Mill to look for Garganey. I couldn’t find said bird so decided to head home. I got involved in a conversation with another birder who asked me a question thus delaying me for a few minutes. I had barely taken two steps when I glanced behind me picking up a large raptor above Fishers Mill Pool, it looked to the naked eye like an Osprey and thats what it was. I even managed to get the scope on it. It steadily gained height then headed north.

Black-tailed Godwit

Dunlin

Sedge Warbler

No comments: