Monday 20 April 2015

I've been busy

I had a week in Scotland where having finished the Munro’s things were a little less hectic. I did some birding in and around the Perth area seeing Black and Red Grouse, Hen Harrier, Dipper and Whooper Swan amongst others. Migrants were thin on the ground but there were a few Wheatear in the glens.

I spent a day in Angus most of which was on the coast where Puffin, Razorbill and Guillemot were seen and in Lunan Bay several Red-throated Diver and Long-tailed Duck. I also picked up Great Skua and a few Sandwich Tern. Down one of the Glens I had my first Willow Warbler and a Common Sandpiper.

We also climbed two Grahams (mountains between 2,000 and 2500ft) in Perthshire which was a short but interesting day, made all the better for a male Hen Harrier.

On Friday evening I had a short walk around Shustoke seeing lots of hirundines and my first Blackcap for the site.

I had to cut the holiday short as I had a house to view but it proved to be a good move with the arrival of two Black-winged Stilts at Middleton RSPB, I was a bit pushed for time so after having my fill I returned home.

On Sunday evening I returned to Middleton RSPB where I saw a Whinchat but the wind was quite strong and I struggled to hear any Grasshoppper Warblers.

Today, Monday I spend the morning at Shustoke where I had all three species of Woodpecker, hirundines appeared over the water and the clouds rolled in and there were double figures of singing Blackcap. I heard a distant Willow Warbler but on the whole it was rather quiet.


No comments: