Friday 24 April 2015

Friday 24th April – A RANT

This has been a really good week for me I have been out most days and I covered the Reservoir most days. Yesterday I saw 64 species in two visits to the Reservoir. Including: 1st Willow Warbler! 2 Oystercatcher, 2 Common Sandpiper, 2 Shelduck, 2 Goosander and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.

Now the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker is breeding, common knowledge amongst local birders (not information spread by me). In a way its a good thing as there is a natural barrier in the form of the river to stop anyone getting too close. I have met people sat opposite the nest hole on the river bank and I have gently suggested that it wouldn’t hurt to move to the left or right where there is more cover.

However, this morning I went over and a photographer who I thought knew better had forced his way through the undergrowth to get closer. To say I was angry was an understatement I asked him to leave and then walked away in disgust. I returned 15 minutes later and he was still there so I asked him to leave again. He apologised and made moves to leave and so did I.

Apart from anything else he was sat in an area that he know held singing Blackcap and Whitethroat. Its not for me to police birders/photographers and I don’t want Wyatt Earp sacked so I can become Sheriff but birders and bird photographers have got to be more responsible.

Apart from anything else Lesser Spot is a Schedule 1 species and whilst I can understand people want to photograph birds (I do it myself – not very well I might add) but with digital photography and digiscoping now, you don’t even have to be in the same county as the bird!!!

I must admit that I was really proud of myself, not that I insisted that he left but that I didn’t swear once! Suffice to say if I catch him again – I will name and shame.

Photographer in front of the Lesser Spot tree.

Can I just add that this guy will not be known to most birders, I don’t want any of the regular bird photographers getting twitchy!

No comments: