Wednesday 18 March 2015

Wednesday 18 March

I though with the sun up and the temperatures on the rise I would take a break from painting a 15 bloody, glass panelled door, which after two coats looks worse than it did when I started, I did tell her, but she wouldn’t listen!

Anyway, there was a report of Lesser Spot at the reservoir yesterday, and feeling lucky after seeing said species yesterday at Ladwalk I took my time. There was a good variety of birds with pairs of Mistle Thrush, Goldcrest and Nuthatch all looking like they might grace the reservoir with breeding attempts.

Around the back of the small pool I dallied and amazingly a female Lesser Spot gave itself up and I got good views before it disappeared deeper into the small copse. I have had high hopes for what I call the “Sheep Paddock” which lies north-east of the reservoir on the other side of the river. At first glance it seemed quiet. As I made my way up the field I picked up a Wheatear in the top of the hedge off too my left, it quickly dropped from view but I was well chuffed. Then at the top of the field off to the right was another Wheatear atop a fence post, I was surprised to say the least when a male Stonechat landed next to it.

As I was walking I started to make my way home seeing Skylark then a pair of Raven. So all in all a good day.

No comments: