Monday 26 January 2015

Monday 26th January

Spent the morning at Shustoke, on the way I checked out a few sites that used to hold Little Owl, yet again I found none. The Reservoir was quiet with a count of 24 Gadwall the only sighting of note. The Lapwing flock flew over c.40 birds but on the passerine front it was very quiet.

The small pool held 65 Pochard and I found the Red-crested Pochard tucked away asleep on the bank, that might account for it being so elusive. I didn’t see the Scaup or the Common Sandpiper but they may be around.

I kicked up a Jack Snipe from a wet area and there were still around c.30 mixed Yellowhammer and Reed Bunting. The highlight was the reappearance of “Billy” the Tree Sparrow in the same general area as it was before.

I went over again this evening to check through the gulls and there were 10 Common Gull, 8 LBB Gull, 2 Herring Gull and c.1,000 Black-headed Gull. Also five Goosander came in but I didn’t stay late so I imagine more came in later as I have counted upto 17 recently.


No comments: