Tuesday 2 December 2014

Tuesday 2nd December

What a day, probably the best I have had birding at the Reservoir for years. It started well with a Dunlin and a Common Sandpiper together in the north-west corner, I thought I had peaked early. But at the far end the drake Red-crested Pochard and the 1st winter male Scaup were still present, a great haul for Shustoke. I had to make my way along the south shore to see the Scaup as I needed the sun behind me. When I confirmed it was there I made my way back to be greeted with a male Merlin which flew past. I only saw it for a few seconds but it was unmistakably.

I then made my way around the small pool seeing a large flock of Goldfinch which contained a few Siskin, then I saw Willow Tit again in roughly the same area. A large female Peregrine was soaring in the direction of the Gryphon. When I checked up and had seen 58 species in the morning, which quite a few glaring omissions.


No comments: