Tuesday 14 May 2013

Monday 13th May

I got home from work and the heavens opened, thinking I would have the Reservoir to myself I went over. Steve Cawthray was on-site just getting ready to leave, the 1st summer Kittiwake (Steve Haynes) was still there although distant feeding at the east end. As we talked a Hobby buzzed through, but surprisingly it didn’t head straight into the Swifts etc, and disappeared as fast as it had arrived.

I continued round and Steve left for pastures new to search for waders at Kingsbury. I had only gone a couple of hundred yards when I picked up a Ringed Plover (my first for a few years on-site). The wind was really screaming but the bird seemed settled enough. I left it and continued around. A Severn Trent worker who had been in the car park talking to us earlier went to search for the Kittiwake camera in hand. I met up with him half way around and he said he had got some shots. He was very enthusiastic and ran though his pictures – on seeing them I realised he had photographed a Dunlin. The said bird was found at the far end on the only bit of shoreline available. I met up with Steve Haynes back at the car park and yesterdays male Yellow Wagtail was again on show. A Kingfisher worked its way towards us, seeing us it turned 90ยบ and worked its way quickly through the gardens to avoid us.


No comments: