Saturday 2 June 2012

Saturday 2nd June

Not much at Shustoke apparently, although the Black-necked Grebe was seen last Tuesday.

I have spent the last week with the lady wife climbing in Scotland but I did manage to get a bit of birding in whilst there.

Climbed seven Munro’s including the Ring of Steall in the Mamores, which was a hell of a day with four Munro’s and a lot of climbing plus the “Devil’s Ridge”.

Last Sunday I had a call from a Scottish friend of mine who knowing I was in Perth texted me with news of a Red-backed Shrike and Marsh Warbler in Angus. Joy and I decided to have a go for them as it was only just over 40 miles away. We were fortunate and got both birds.

I met up with Stuart on the Wednesday as the conditions were excellent. He has found some stunning birds in Angus including Collared Flycatcher, Eye-browed Thrush and Blyth’s Reed Warbler to name but a few. Wednesday looked good the wind had east in it but there was a steady drizzle most of the day which probably contributed to it being a wash out bird wise. Apart from a couple of Spotted Flycatchers the coast was poor. The highlight was a visit to a bay were access from the cliff was down a very steep path with the aid of rope, Stuart in full waterproofs stayed dry, but I got absolutely soaked to the skin. We then got out by following a gully out to the top of the cliff, what path there was muddy and wet and part of it had been washed away by a land slip, Stuart was very apologetic but I think he had a glint in his eye.

Forfar loch however, had a Red-crested Pochard and Little Stint. We also had moment of excitement with a distant hybrid resembling a Lesser Scaup but on closer examination it was a hybrid PochardxTufted. The

On Friday Joy and I were up at 5.30am drove to Kinlochleven and climbed Na Gruagaichean which was the last of the Mamore group we hadn’t climbed. It was a short day and we were back in Perth by 3.15pm and packed and on our way home at 5.30pm as we were driving down the M80 I was amazed to see a White Stork soaring above us. Unfortunately I couldn’t stop but excitedly I put the news out but found out later that it was probably an escape from the local Safari Park!

Hopefully now I will manage to get over the Shustoke a bit more often and there will be a few birds around.

Beinn Achaladair

Red-backed Shrike, Angus

Marsh Warbler, Angus

Sgurr a’ Mhaim, and the Devil’s Ridge

On top of Sgurr a’ Mhaim with Ben Nevis behind.

No comments: