Monday 14 May 2012

The Weekend

Didn’t get over much the weekend apart from Saturday evening. Cannock Chase was hard work with quite a wind blowing and a low sun that was in my eyes on the approach walk to the Stepping Stones. I did score with all three target species, Wood Warbler, Redstart and Pied Flycatcher.

The Reservoir was rather quiet, on arrival there was a Cuckoo in the large trees by the entrance to the sailing club. That was probably the highlight, I doubt there will be much wader passage this spring as the water level is as high as I can remember. Again it was windy and rather cold for the time of the year, consequently there were very few birds singing. Two Skylark over the fields adjacent to Bixhill Lane were the next best thing.

My potato fields produced even more Wheatear with three on Saturday and one still present on Sunday. Surprising really as this is one of our earliest migrants. I am knee deep in gardening at the moment and found a Red-legged Partridge nest under one of my hedges whilst weeding the borders. The sitting bird exploded from cover scaring the life out of me. I may end up gardening with a DeFib if it happens again.

No comments: