Saturday 18 February 2012

It’s so QUIET!!!

Came down to earth with a bump today, I thought the rain had stopped and it hadn’t. So I got soaked into the bargain. But bird wise it was really quiet. Nothing on the main pool apart from Coot and a few Great Crested Grebe. The small pool held the rest of the wildfowl but there were only 21 Wigeon and c.50 Pochard.

Passerine wise there was little to write home about but there were a few thrushes in the Paddocks with six Redwing, four Song Thrush and 12 Backbirds. Did well for Buzzard with seven seen. There appears to have been a bit of work done with the hedgerows trimmed and a few trees either taken out, or blown over.

It shouldn’t be long now before the first of the Spring migrants start to appear. For now, my head is still in Goa I saw twice as many species in two week than I have managed at Shustoke in twelve years! But at least the curries are better here!

No comments: