Friday 6 January 2012

Friday 6th January

First visit of the New Year and it was typical haul of species. Couldn’t locate the Redpoll from last year but there were good numbers of Siskin, all of the Fieldfare and Redwing appear to have moved off and I saw neither species today.

Wildfowl were as last year poor with c.150 Pochard and four Wigeon seen. I have been walking from work this week along the River Tame near to the Hams Hall outflow which is a reliable site for Chiffchaff in the winter. As much due to this weeks high winds as anything else I drew a blank in my search. Typically I saw my first wintering record of Chiffchaff today at Shustoke – you couldn’t plan it.

There were also several Common Gull seen today but it is a quiet time of year, surprisingly there were still a lot of insects on the wing which is amazing for the first week of January.

No comments: