Monday 29 August 2011

Sunday 28th August

What a day, had a text to say the Black-necked Grebe was still there and that a Hen Harrier had been seen flying over (Steve Cawthray). I had a few things to do around the house then off to the footie. Got back from there and rushed over to Shustoke to try and photograph the Grebe. There are that many birds there that I had trouble picking it out, but looking through my scope a Black-tailed Godwit flew past it circled for about five minutes before settling on the mass of weed that has gathered on the surface and promptly sunk into it. It stayed for about five minutes before it flew off and I lost it to view.

I searched for the Grebe but didn’t see it, I believe it is probably still there – if it is distant you really need a scope to pick it out. Anyway there were around 40 Gadwall, 5 Wigeon and 20 Shoveller. Not a bad haul for this time of year. From the far end I scanned the shoreline where the gulls have been gathering and picked out the Godwit again and there was also a Ruff with it. I think both birds are only the second time that I personally have seen these species at this site. I then had to rush home in an attempt to save my marriage as we were going out.

I also think and I will check, that Hen Harrier is new for the site.

Black-tailed Godwit

Black-tailed Godwit

No comments: