Wednesday 1 June 2011

Stuck at Work - Wondering

I have received an email today from Mark Fennell to say that were two Red-necked Phalarope at Shustoke reported on Sunday. I will not be able to get over until later but if anyone can get over and see if they are still present I would appreciate it.

regards

more later.

Not much more

Needless to say Sundays Red-necked Phalarope were well gone. I didn’t get over on Sunday but I did manage a trip on Monday after the rain. And although they could be easily missed I didn’t see them then. I had a scan yesterday after work and drew a blank.

Later No.2 son dropped Joy and I + dog at Bentley Woods and we walked back through the lanes via Botts Green and across the Tamworth Road, then around the back of the reservoir. There were a couple of pairs of Spotted Flycatcher at Bentley Woods but the lanes on the way back were very quiet. While not scientific there appeared to be a decline in Song bird numbers from previous years. I didn’t see or hear Little Owl, Tree Sparrow, Lesser Whitethroat, Skylark or Garden Warbler. There were only four singing Yellowhammer heard which is way down on previous years.

At the reservoir a couple of Chiffchaff were singing and a single Green Woodpecker.

1 comment:

bob duckhouse said...

Seems to be a recurring theme Pete. Warblers and such seem concentrated on reserves where numbers are consistent but farmland birds get fewer and fewer.