Saturday 2 April 2011

Saturday 2nd April

After yesterday I thought an early morning trip would be best – before the crowds and the sailing got into full swing. From the car park there were around 40 Sand Martin. The Red-crested Pochard was down the far end but when the launch went out it took off with all the Tufted and relocated on the small pool.

Around the small pool I was watching a group of four Treecreeper when the male Lesser Spot alighted on one of the large pines and put on a show. Then I picked up a Willow Tit singing from just outside the Fishing clubhouse. Between the two pools there was a male Blackcap and there were double figures of singing Chiffchaff. On the way back to the car park a male Reed Bunting was singing from the hedgerow.

This evening a call from Steve Cawthray who found a Sandwich Tern had me scurrying from the Quarry to Shustoke where I thankfully connected with said bird. Dave Hutton has promised me a photo so watch this space.


Sandwich Tern – Dave Hutton

No comments: