Friday 1 April 2011

Friday 1st April

Having got out of work a little earlier I arrived at the Reservoir at 5pm. On arrival there were three Swallow and around half a dozen Sand Martin. The rest of the lake looked barren, so I decided to change my route and headed over the Bourne and followed the footpath that runs alongside the railway. It was quiet although I did see Kingfisher on the river and a Fieldfare flew across. The length of the railway produced very little just a couple of singing Chiffchaff and what I though would be todays highlight an early House Martin.

By the small pool my attention was grabbed by a small bird of prey expecting Sparrowhawk or Kestrel I was delighted on picking it up in my bins that it was a female Merlin. Although the views weren’t brilliant it was mobbed by a Swallow and banked a couple of time allowing me better views. Unfortunately it kept going, headed roughly north.

I though that was it, and time to head home.On my way back I checked to see if yesterday’s LRP was still present. As I made my way up the south shore I scanned the duck to count the Goosander and was gobsmacked to come across a female Red-crested Pochard. I texted some local birders and on arriving back at the car park SC was there and connected with the RCP.

Needless to say I when home a happy bunny.

No comments: