Wednesday 23 March 2011

Wednesday 23rd March

This highlight of the week so far was the record of 3 Grey Partridge (Steve Cawthray) this is a species that is difficult to connect with Wishaw about the only reliable site in the area. It also follows hot on the heels of a record at Ladywalk on the 12 March also SC.

Work commitments have hampered my visits recently, but with a dentist appointment at 10am I used the opportunity to get around early. The weather was stunning as it has been for a while now and I struggle to remember the last significant rainfall that we had. It must be one of the driest March’s on record! So no doubt it will now turn out to be one of the wettest summers!

I though that with seeing both Swallow and Sand Martin on the 13/3 it would be a good start to the migration season but apart from four singing Chiffchaffs I saw nothing of note today. A pair of Gt Spotted Woodpeckers copulating was a highlight – well it was for them! Most of the wildfowl have moved on now with singles of both Pochard and Wigeon, five Goosander and four Gadwall the sum totals.

A small group of Redwing were a reminder that winter hasn’t quite left yet, so lets see how it goes.

I added another species to my garden list with distant flight views of a Little Egret.

No comments: