Monday 21 February 2011

The Weekend

I paid a vist over the weekend but it was rather quiet although I did have another Brambling this time in the woodland between the two pools. There has been an increase in the number of birds singing now and spring is well on its way.

My garden has been disappointing this winter although this morning (Monday) there were over 40 Goldfinch feeding on the ground on Niger/Nyger seed (it is gratifying to know that the birding community hasn’t been bypassed by Political correctness). I hope they go all the way and amend all the atlas’s now!

Anyway, Nyger/Niger seed being small doesn’t interest the larger birds that dominate my feeders and they discard it onto the ground. I have developed a system of moving my table a few yards ever week or so and this attracts the Goldfinch and Chaffinch to ground feed. I had my first Siskin of the winter as well this morning. One addition to my bird table this winter that hasn’t been so welcome, have been my neighbours chicken flock (Junglefowl) they just hoover up everything going. When that rooster starts crowing at 4am I can see the oven beckoning! I must get some tips from the hunters of Cyprus!

No comments: