Sunday 6 February 2011

The week that was

I have a couple of short visits in the last week but with the strong wind and short days, I have to say that I have seen nothing out of the ordinary. At the start of the week the reservoir was half covered in ice but there were just around 40 Goosander, and little else. The gull roost has been poor especially for large gulls but there have been good numbers of Common Gull, a feature of the winter so far. As far as passerines are concerned I had a group of 20 Pied Wagtails, and that has been about it. I do intend to go over this afternoon and will update the blog then.

One good thing to some out of the week is the appearance of signs from Severn Trent appealing for dog owners to be more responsible on site, as dog walking is under review around the reservoir. That can only be a good thing, but I see not real evidence that it is actually happening.

I visited Coleshill Quarry on Saturday and saw Jack Snipe, Common Snipe and Skylark there were also 40 Teal and a few Meadow Pipits.

And this morning whilst having a coffee in bed I made eye contact with a male Sparrowhawk which perched up on my bird feeders for a couple of minutes. Might be why I am down to two Tree Sparrows at the moments!

No comments: