Thursday 24 February 2011

Thursday 24th February

Took a walk over this morning and the site was rather quiet (people wise), that soon changed and it became increasing busy. For the life of me I don’t understand some people, Severn Trent have put signs up at every entry point around the reservoir and yet, not one dog today was on a lead – what is it with some people!

It was quite good bird wise today and I recorded a total of 45 species. Spring was in the air and there was a lot of activity amongst the resident species. At least 3 Goldcrests, 6 Song Thrush, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Gt Spot, Green Woodpecker amongst others.

It was when I returned to the large pool that I had todays highlight in the form of a couple of Oystercatcher which lasted until – you guessed it – they were put up two of three times before settling down on the causeway of the sailing club.

Walking the lanes tonight with my dog (I dare not take him to Shustoke) I came across the Little Owl again plus an impressive roost of Yellowhammer in the Holly Land/Moat House Lane area that numbered c.40 birds, quite impressive. It will not be long now before the first summer migrants start to arrive and the year gets started in earnest.

No comments: