Saturday 20 November 2010

What colour is the sky again!

On yet another grey bleak day, I took an early morning walk around the reservoir, passerines were noticeably by their absence, in fact it was the first time I had ever failed to see Blue Tit! I think they must all be at my bird feeders. However, duck numbers were ok with 24 Shoveler, 85 Pochard, c.100 Tufted, c. 140 Mallard and 4 Wigeon. I failed to see the Red-breasted Merganser but it may still be there as the sailing club launch moved the birds around a bit.

There were a few Redwings around and I tried hard for Woodcock as we need one species to equal the best ever year for the Reservoir. There are still six weeks left for either the aforementioned Woodcock or even Lesser Spotted Woodpecker to put in an appearance. I live in hope!

On a personal note I have recorded 108 species this year and am missing some really dollies, the identity of which I am not prepared to divulge. So I will be looking hard for those as well.

No comments: