Monday 29 November 2010

Sunday 28th November

I managed to fit in a couple of visits on Sunday – early and late as I had been dragged (kicking and screaming) shopping! Early on there was much the same as yesterday although there was no sign of the Smew or the Goldeneye, however, the flock of Wigeon has reach 40. Wildfowl generally had increased with c.40 Teal, c.30 Shoveler, c.80 Pochard, plus late on there were 25 Goosander which use the Reservoir as a roost site. There were a couple of small flocks of Lapwing heading south, but on a couple of newly ploughed field to the north of the site there were around 150+ Lapwing with good numbers of mixed corvids.

I took the dog for a walk over to Coleshill Quarry late afternoon and only saw about six species, the site is completely frozen over (more than likely the source of Shustokes, Teal and Shoveler). But out of the six species one was new for me and I think the site and came in the form of a Woodcock, this is a species that I have been searching for regularly recently at Shustoke and just goes to show what birding is like that I jammed upon one by accident!

No comments: