Saturday 9 October 2010

Saturday 9th October

After a week away I had a walk around the reservoir today. It was obvious that the weather has changed, as had the make-up of the birdlife. For the first time in months there were no hirundines to be seen I also drew a blank on summer passerines. There had been a Black Tern in midweek and that bird was still present as was a single Common Tern. Winter thrushes were represented by about a dozen Redwing, whilst at home I had a small group of Fieldfare fly over. I actually had a year tick for the Reservoir today with a group of six Meadow Pipit in the western meadow. The field on the other side of the river still looks good but contained absolutely nothing. I still have high hopes for later in the year.


COLESHILL QUARRY
I paid a brief visit here this afternoon and was rewarded with two Jack Snipe which is certainly a first for me at this site and to the best of my knowledge is the first record. The only other bird of note was a single Common Snipe.

No comments: