Sunday 26 September 2010

Sunday 26th September

Decided to avoid the crowds and went over early this morning, it didn’t look promising at first but at the east end I picked up a female type Common Scoter (122). It was feeding and associating loosely with a small group of Little Grebe. At 9.30 the activity at the Sailing Club started and the speed boat that goes out first fortunately concentrated on the west end of the reservoir, as did the eventual race. I left at 11.30am and the bird was still present. I also had a group of 60+ mixed hirundines, Willow Warbler and four Chiffchaff.

I paid another visit at dusk and the Scoter was still present as darkness fell.

Note: Shustoke Reservoir has now recorded the same number of species as it did in 2009 and we still have 3 full months left! The most species ever recorded in a single year is 128 in 2008 plus White Wagtail, which I count as a sub-species in brackets, (I know that Pied Wag is the sub-species … but what can I do). I also don’t count Feral Pigeon.

No comments: