Friday 17 September 2010

Battle to the Death

I had to make my way to Coventry for lunchtime so I dropped in to scan the res from the car park on the way. The Little Gull was still in the same general area feeding away as it has done for five days now. Then like a streak a immature male Peregrine singled out “Sparky” who bobbed and weaved, but the Peregrine was getting closer with every swoop. It brought back memories of the Leach’s at Coton the other day trying to avoid the attention of Black-head Gulls. Eventually “Sparky” had had enough and started to try and gain height the Peregrine doing the same, for me there was only going to be one winner. I lost them to view as they drifted south-east but I left convinced that “Sparky” was a gonner!

I returned late afternoon and had a walk around I scanned from the car park to start with, 150 mixed hirundines, mainly House Martin. There were loads of Buzzard up with six high above Ladywalk, four over Hoggrils End, and another couple over the small pool. Walking round there was a Greylag in with the Canada’s, a couple of Grey Wagtail, then to my genuine amazement there was “Sparky” he had survived his encounter with natures instrument of death! The Peregrine had no doubt learnt that speed is one thing but not when you are going in the wrong direction!

By the small pool there was a single Willow Warbler, 2 Chiffchaff, 4 Kingfisher, 1 Green Woodpecker and a single Raven. This evening the gull roost was impressive and on the shore by the sailing club was a single Common Sandpiper.

I shall be going over early tomorrow with “Daylate” so no doubt “Sparky” will have moved on!

No comments: