Monday 23 August 2010

Monday 23rd August

With no sign of yesterdays Turnstone I carried on with my usual circuit and things were not going too well with a stiff westerly breeze blowing. There was nothing of note until I checked the small pool and found a male Pochard amongst the loafing Tufted Duck. I continued to Warbler Corner which was sheltered from the wind and was delighted to be met by three Spotted Flycatcher. There were still around six Chiffchaff and a couple of Willow Warbler in the area.

I continued back to the car park seeing very little, I had a final check for Turnstone or Common Sandpiper but drew a blank. I was then scanning the gulls when I heard the familiar and unmistakable call of Whimbrel, I looked up to see four birds overhead, that was great but as they headed in the direction of my house I was fumbling for my car keys, when fortunately/unfortunately they changed heading and flew off into the sunset, I lost them in the sun, but they were heading in the general vicinity of Ladywalk or was it Coleshill Gravel Pits – where are those car keys!!!

No comments: